Friday, July 20, 2012

book club review: angels and demons


this week for my book review i'm linking up with heather at blonde undercover blonde. don't know if i've said this before but while i'm staying in the states i'm trying not to spend money on buying new books as i can't take home with me as my baggage charge would be extortionate. so i'm relying on my local goodwill and library to keep my book shelf stocked. having said that finding books i read years ago and getting to read them again is something i'm really enjoying.

so this week i found the da vinci code and angels and demons both by dan brown. now i love love loved both of the films for these two books and rereading these again i wasn't disappointed. i even found out something new. even though the film the da vinci code was released first, the book angels and demons is meant to be read first as the events that take place pre date the da vinci code story line.

the main character of these books is Robert Langdon, a harvard professor who studies and teaches symbology. because of his vast knowledge of religion, he is drawn into highly dangerous situations regarding the church. in the da vinci code its the catholic church and a secret brotherhood, one fighting to share the knowledge and location of jesus' blood line whilst the other tries to eradicate it and in angles and demons its a race to beat another secret brotherhood before they destroy vatican city and the pope.

i love both the story lines of these books, mainly because in one respect they are so far fetched the reader thinks this can't possibly be true but then the illuminati and the blood line of jesus are backed up with so much information and possible truth i would sit there and wonder if there was any way that i was reading could actually have happened. these books definitely kept me on my toes and questioning some of the things i have learnt about religion.

10 comments:

  1. i remember i devoured the da vinci code books :) well written and intense! although i never saw the movie version...

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know i loved them, the movies are worth a see they are fab :D have a great weekend

      Delete
  2. I remember reading these back when they were huge. I the time I also read his other book Digital Fortress and wound up loving it. But I haven't read anything by Dan Brown in years, and I think it'd be fun to go back and reread them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh i haven't read digital fortress, maybe that should be my next read :D

      Delete
  3. First, my hubby read both of those books and loved them.

    Second, I love your 'about me'. Maybe I read too much chick lit, but it sounds like a novel in the making- english au pair in america.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you thats, so sweet :) ooh that may have to be something that becomes a pet project of mine-english girl living the american dream.

      Delete
  4. I always wanted to read one of these - liked the movies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the books are well worth a read, can't decide which i like better tho the books or the films its a tough call, let me know what you think if you end up reading them :)

      Delete
  5. Loved the books, mostly loved the movies, BUT the ending of Angels and Demons is SO much better in the book!! Like, goosebumps awesome. The whole Pope thing... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i loved it, i was starring at the book with my mouth wide open lol :D

      Delete