Friday, July 27, 2012

book club review: the vow

image via
this week i'm linking up with heather over at blonde undercover blonde for the weekly book club. having love love loved the film, when i saw the novel about the events that inspired the film, the vow, i knew i had to give the book ago.

"life as kim and krickitt carpenter knew it was shattered beyond recognition two months after their marriage when a devastating car wreck left krickitt with a massive head injury and in a coma for weeks.

when she finally awoke, she had no idea who kim was. with no recollection of their relationship and while krickitt experienced personality changes common to those who suffer head injuries, kim realised the woman he had married essentially had died in the accident.

 and yet, against all odds, kim and krickitt fell in love all over again. the vow tells the true story of this journey, one of a commitment unbroken and a vow fulfilled."

i loved this book, maybe not as much as the film because as with every movie things are added to real life events (like getting married in a museum, or the chocolate box dessert tradition) that make it feel a bit fairytale like. however this may be the ultimate love story. a husband not giving up on the love of his life even though she has no idea who he is. hearing about how at the beginning of krickitt's therapy she would scream that she didn't know who this man (her husband) was or why he was here and yet kim never walked away. its takes a real love and two very special people to fight for something that a) isn't there anymore, as his wife isn't the same person he married and b) will not be the same even if they can get back to loving each other, as after going through so much people come out changed.

11 comments:

  1. i LOVED this movie and i have yet to read the book,but really want to :)

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its so worth the read, i loved all the little extras you get, there are loads of photographs in the book and also it tells you the actual event happened in 1996 but the movie didn't get made until just recently as they wanted the story to be right and the actors :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your blog...and glad I did because your blog is great. To be honest I didn't really like the movie so I haven't read the book. Generally I like the books better than movies anyway so maybe I should give it a whirl!

    I'm also an English gal living in the States. Been here 6 years, married to my American husband. Hope you are liking it over here! I blog at abritandheryank.blogspot.com if you ever want to drop by :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it so true the books are better than movies. this one was just so sweet, not to give anything away but it was one of those love at first sight moments, made my heart melt :) its definitely worth a read :) thankyou thats really nice, i am loving it here over in the states, ive been here for just under a year and have signed my contract to stay for another :D

      Delete
  4. Alright I think I need to watch the movie now! I was trying to hold back hehe but Channing Tatum is pretty hot ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yeah he is one of the main reasons for watching lol, let me know what you think of the movie :)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed the movie as well. I've heard such great things about the book as well, and it's definitely one I'd love to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't get a chance to read this before I saw the movie. I think I need to read The Lucky One before it comes out on DVD!

    Stopping by (a little late) from the linkup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a great book either way :) ooh i saw the film for the lucky one and loved it but i haven't got chance to read the book, may have to add that to my reading list :)

      Delete