Saturday, November 17, 2012

twenties girl

image via


have you ever re-read a book and found it even better the second time round? twenties girl by sophie kinsella was one of those for me. i could remember the basic plot but forgot about how funny it was. there are so many one liners and quips between the two main characters i was laughing at every page turn. the story follows lara and her great aunt sadie who dies at age 105 but for lara she is a young twenty three with major passions for flapper dresses, the charleston, cocktails and barney mugging (you'll have to read it to find out what this little gem means) because sadie is in fact a ghost.

this is a great story that crosses all my favourite genres; it has comedy, romance, friendship and a little of the supernatural thrown in for good measure.  now i don't want to give anything away for those of you who haven't read it but when family secrets are revealed with help only a ghost could provide lara's life is turned upside down- for the better

i loved this book for so many different reasons but to name a few the message that kinsella was getting across about family. that we are only here for a certain amount of time and should appreciate our family while they are here not just once they are gone. then the smaller things like after having been forced to wear entire 1920's outfits by sadie lara learns to love them and even starts to incorporate a littel 1920's flare into her everyday outfits. but my favourite is sadie's ghostie powers- think of a cross between a conscience and a mega phone :)




6 comments:

  1. I love sophie kinsellas books! I have read all of her shopaholic series books they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one but this sounds like the perfect vacation read! Funny and light but engaging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! I gotta get this from the library next time I go there :) I've been searching for good books to read but haven't really found any lately :c So, thanks for telling about this one! I've read all the shopaholic books from Kinsella and really liked them, so I guess I should try this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge Sophie Kinsella fan! Great post!

    New follower, follow back?

    simplyblushed.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like so much fun!! I'm going to the library tomorrow and will definitely look for it! I'd love it if you linked this up to Nibbles and Novels tomorrow at Dimples and Delights, it's perfect!
    ~April

    ReplyDelete