Sunday, January 13, 2013

my sister's keeper

image via
being one of those people who prefers to read the book before the movie i am well behind with this book as i saw trailers for the film ages and ages ago but i finally got round to reading it these past couple of weeks. my sisters keeper by jodi picoult looks at "can a parent love too much? or is too much never enough? anna is not sick, but she might as well be. by age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions and shots so that her older sister, kate, can somehow fight the leukaemia that has plagued her since childhood. the product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for kate- a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. like most teenagers, anna is beginning to question who she truly is. but unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister- and so anna makes a decision that for most would perhaps be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves."

as i said i have seen the trailer so i did have some idea what would happen in the book but it was a really good read none the less. its not just a typical book that goes through the effects that such a horrible disease can have on not only the patient but also their family, this questions the difference between what is medically legally and medically moral. it really looks into when put into this kind of situation how stress and fear can change your decision making process and how these uncharacteristic changes impact the people around you.

when reading this you cant help but feel for anna who up until this point has had no say in what has been happening to her and has taken a back seat in the family as all the focus has been on her sister. you also see this in her brother jesse, who although a main character is sometimes forgotten. i really dont want to give the plot away because there are so many things that first of all i so didn't see coming and will really spoil the ending if i give it away (lets just say huge huge twist!!) but this is an amazing read and something that was a little different to what i usually read. it really shows how the situation can sometimes change your thinking.

6 comments:

  1. Love this book!! I cried. I never saw the movie. I heard it was completely different and chose to boycott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the book, I do like a good plot twist though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I use to love to read and college ruined it for me. We were forced to read so much so quickly that I rarely get into it anymore. It no longer relaxes me. I miss it too.

    I dropped in from the GFC blog hop today and am now following you and your lovely blog. I hope you have a great week!
    Jackie @ http://expressionsneeded.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen the movie; however, everyone I know who has read the book and seen the movie is upset at how the movie strayed far from the book.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen or read this besides trailers but it sounds like such an interesting story. THanks tons for linking up to my what we wore, read and made link party :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the book! I never saw the movie because I heard they flipped the ending! You just shouldn't do that with such a beloved book!

    ReplyDelete